Best 4 Person Tent For The Year 2020 And Beyond: 5 Most Desirable Models Alongside Buyer’s Guide Included
For the highest number of campers and generally people who like sleeping in tents in nature, a 4-person tent is the first option. We agree on that claim. These tents are still big enough to provide improved comfort, yet they are not massive and heavy, so you won’t have troubles moving them around. As always, we are interested in the best 4 person tent and we will find it right now.
Buyer’s Guide For The Best 4 Person Tent
Size or capacity of a tent is usually the primary factor to look for when purchasing a new tent. However, it is pre-set in this case scenario. As you can see, we are interested in 4-person tents only. Below are important parameters you should consider if you want to find the best model according to your specific criteria.
Types of 4-person tents
These tents come in several, main types. Each one is designed for a specific purpose or time of use. They are:
- Summer tents
These tents come with a mesh material all around and they are excellent in preventing hot air and insects coming inside. Models with a skeleton and decent construction can even withstand thunderstorms. However, they don’t have great insulation, so they are not ideal for use when the temperature is low.
- 3 season tents
Models of this kind are made to withstand different weathers and to stay functional between spring and autumn. As such, we can see that the combination of materials involves mesh and nylon and the shape is designed to withstand harder weather conditions.
- Winter tents
Models of this kind are specific. They are made to withstand snow loads, all kinds of weather and they have excellent insulation. All of this is mandatory if you are looking for a tent to use while the temperature is extremely low. In addition, they also come with gear storage and they are heavy.
- Convertible models
These tents are a mixture between all above types. They can be adjusted to be used while the temperature and weather are warm, or they can be optimized for bad weather and protect you from low temperatures.
Which shape do you want? The best 4 person tent can be available in several, different shapes and each one comes with its own pros and drawbacks. Anyway, you can choose between:
- A-shape- These units have sloping sides and they are made for sun and benign weather situations. A modified A-shape tent comes with a bigger interior, but the rest is the same.
- Dome- Probably the most popular models that come with a decent amount of interior space and they are resistant to harsh weather.
- Tunnel- A tunnel tent isn’t a freestanding unit, but it can have resistant massive winds.
- Pyramid- if you get a pyramid tent, you will appreciate the space inside and design. However, they are also weak under harsh
- Wedge- Specifically made for windy situations. They are aerodynamic, but there is no a lot of space inside.
There is no need in telling that we refer to the base or poles of a tent. You can choose between models made of fiberglass. They are the most affordable and lightweight, but weak as well. Aluminum models are much better. They are stronger, yet lightweight and durable. Carbon fiber is the ultimate choice without drawbacks, except the price.
Door or doors
In most cases, you will be able to choose between one or 2 doors. One door design is more compact and makes a tent more affordable. 2 doors are more practical and for some users the best possible choice. Regardless of which kind you choose, make sure the doors are protected and come with heavy-duty zippers.
Flysheet refers to the other layer of a tent. It is usually made of nylon but polyester is popular as well. Then, this material is treated either by PU or silicone. The goal is to make it completely waterproof. It is essential to have a tent which is 100% waterproof, even if you are planning to use it in great weather conditions.
All of us prefer tents that can be installed in the shortest period of time. The time frame cannot be generalized, so we are looking at anything between 5 minutes and 2 hours. It is important to take this factor into consideration and make sure your tent is easy to install. Don’t forget that before you set it up, you and your family will be outside, without a shelter! Latest models are true masterpieces when it comes to setting up time and they can be fully operational within minutes, despite the massive size.
If or when you carry a tent on your back, weight is a crucial factor, as you will probably see for yourself. If you are transporting it using your car, then the weight is less important. The bottom line is that you should stay focused on the weight and choose a model that won’t compromise your camping experience.
Top 5 4 Person Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to setup
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and two doorways
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next adventure
- Base Size: 7'6 x 8'6, Center Height: 52", Total Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz., Minimum Weight: 7 lbs. 15 oz., Color: Clay/Rust
It is the best 4 person tent, period. Of course, we will explain how and why reached this conclusion. The tested model is lightweight, only 8 pounds. It has 2 aluminum poles and the installation is super-easy. You will really need just a couple of minutes and the tent is ready. On the other side, we can see that the tent is big enough and it comes with useful, storage compartments.
The main material is polyester which makes this tent resistant to the elements and UV rays. It will stay in great shape after years of use and it is something we had to mention. After all, this is an affordable model. Other facts we can add include 2 doors, stakes, rope and so much more included in the package. You are ready to use it as soon as it arrives.
Zippers are made to withstand heavy-duty usages. They are capable of meeting any requirement you may have and they are a superb element of this tent.
- Resistant materials
- Easy to set up
- Full package
- Poor choice of colors
- Isn’t suitable for backpacking
Coleman Sundome Tent has been one of the most popular models on the market for a long period of time. It is available with a great package that includes a lantern, stakes and so much more. Basically, you will be a proud owner of a tent that can be used straightaway for any purpose you may have on your mind. It looks nice and in dome-shape, you get plenty of space inside.
The dimensions are 9×7 feet, paired with the latest technology. What this means is that you get more space inside than similar models and you can easily organize your items. Massive windows really make things even better. The inside of a tent is well-illuminated and you can enjoy nature more.
WeatherTec system is standard for this brand so we can see it present here as well. It refers to a unique combo of technology and materials. What it does is keeping the water away from your windows and doors. All seals are based on this system and they make the tent suitable for heavy-rain situations. The tent can be fully assembled and ready in 10 minutes.
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Weather Tec system
- Great design
- Plenty of space inside
- Accessories included (they are an optional extra)
- Pole sleeve design
- Storage compartments
- STAY DRY Waterproof rainfly with a 360degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a cool, comfortable night’s sleep; 1 to 4 person camping tents available
- ROOM WITH A VIEW Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of the Milky Way; Full dome mesh top allows for an amazing stargazing experience
- EASY TO SET UP Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking hiking and camping; Micro mesh inner tent with perfect fitting waterproof rainfly
- PACKS UP EASILY When it’s time to head home the Mountain Ultra Tent is a quick hasslefree take down
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
On our tests, we were more than just impressed with this tent. It is lightweight with a total weight of 9.3 pounds, which isn’t much. The design is a dome, with freestanding capabilities and poles made of aluminum. In a nutshell, the tent is ready to be used in summer, autumn and when the rain is expected. This isn’t a winter tent!
We tested only the 4-person model, but you can have the same one for 1, 2 or 3 people. They are basically the same, except the size. The main material is micro-mesh which is very appealing for those who want great ventilation. In addition, this model offers built-in air vent so on a warm day, you will feel cool and relaxed. The seals and the materials have been reinforced making the tent durable and capable of withstanding almost anything.
The setup is simple and won’t require more than 10 minutes. Once ready you can enjoy a sky high view. This is a special feature that refers to the window on the roof. It allows for you to look at the stars at night. We liked this feature a lot and probably you will as well.
- Roof window
- Reinforced seals and edges
- Air flow
- Space inside
- Floor of the tent
- Poor user manual
- 【Unique and fantastic design】The tent is Super easy to set up and take down in only 60 seconds，Simply lift up the top of the tent and it will automatic installation. Press the end of the pole at moment which poles have yellow labels, automatically folding tent
- 【High Quality Waterproof Fabric】Outside tent with a waterproof level of 3000mm is made of 210D oxford fabric + Silicone Coating. The tent floor with a waterproof level of 10000mm is made of 210T
- 【100% Risk Free Pirchase】: Are you unsatisfied with the our tent? we offer 24-hour customer service and a 12-month satisfaction guarantee for a completely risk-free purchase. If there are any problems with the tent, please e-mail us. So do not hold back any longer
- 【Camping Tents with Dual Doors】Ultralight tent with extremely dense mosquito net, provides better ventilation and protects against mosquito bites. This waterproof tent has 2 doors, offer easy access, The mesh windows allow the breeze to come in and keep the mosquito out
- 【Six Angles Design】More Stable in the Windy and Rainy Weather According to Mathematical Theory，can accommodate at least 2 adults and 2 child
We were a bit surprised with the tested model. It is advertised as an affordable unit that comes with impressive features. We actually felt on that. The price is more than just affordable, yet the tent performed well in different scenarios and we felt comfortable inside. Keep in mind that it is designed for a family (2 adults and 2 children) so there won’t be enough space of 4 adults inside.
The main material is 210D oxford fabric which is coated with silicone. In other words the tent is strong, durable and it will protect you from rain when needed. Aluminum poles are implemented as well and the combination results in 6-edge design. This is one of a kind design you can find and it is very appealing at the moment. The next best thing is the installation. The tent is ready to use in 60 seconds only.
In general, we liked this model and considering the price, it is one of the best models out there. It is also the best in this price range. Usually, manufacturers of this kind have poor customer support, but here this isn’t the case. The customer support is excellent and very helpful.
- Silicone coating
- 6-edge design
- Value for money
- Super-density mesh
- 60-second installation
- Attention to details
- Space inside
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The INDY 4- 5 person tent is great for all the family . With easy assembly, the spacious European design one door tent weighs 12lbs with a comfortable floor size of 12.8ft x 8ft (sleep area of 8ft x 7ft) and 4.7ft center height for maximum comfort.
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. 2500mm water column rainfly provides full coverage, while the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. Inner tent has a large 2-way zipper D-style door with full mosquito mesh protection. Roomy utility pocket for storage and ventilated mesh roof. European design delivers a unique front vestibule that has an awning and side door with a detachable PE tarp floor.
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic , offering a sturdy construction . Made with 100% virgin material to provide additional strength and flexibility.
- BREATHABLE MICRO MOSQUITO MESH – Ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe from the smallest insects and mosquitoes – letting fresh air in while keeping bugs out! Freestanding design is easy to set up and take down. Built for the Brazilian Amazon, the Cherokee 3-season dome family tent will keep you comfortable and protected from heat, rain and wind.
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI FUNGUS FLOOR MATERIAL – Seamless, anti-fungal polyethylene with a silver-coated inner layer to prevents leaks, keeping you dry and protected. The flooring has a unique bathtub-style construction element barrier, designed to ensure so you won’t wake up in a puddle! CPAI-84 fire retardant materials. Comes with a zipped stuff bag and ID label to personalize your tent.
This unit is something else. It has a lot to offer and it is completely unique. First of all, it is designed to accommodate 4-5 people which is a nice addition. The mesh material is excellent and it provides a superb combination between the airflow and the water protection. The main material is the 190T polyester which is coated with polyurethane.
The bottom part and the floor are made and treated so there won’t be bacteria present! Nice and modern addition which should be used in more tents. The thing we liked the most is the Nano-flex technology. It is a cool way of saying that fiberglass construction is coated for added strength. And yes, it actually works and the poles are stronger than equivalent units without this coating.
The dimensions are 12.2×8 feet which makes it a bit bigger unit. The weight is slightly above 12 pounds so you will have to be prepared for added weight. All we can add is that the tent is well-made, comes with excellent features and it is reasonably priced. After all, it is based on the latest technology and comes with features no other tents have.
- Fiberglass coated poles
- Anti-fungal floor
- Breathable material
- Less spacious than it looks
In the end, all we can summarize is that the LPS Mountaineering Lynx is the best 4 person tent we were able to find and you can have. It is well-made, of strong materials and it comes in a package that makes it ready as soon as you get it. The aluminum construction is strong and durable and the setting it up is extremely easy. All of this means that the tested model gets 5 out of 5 star rating.